Share | 

eXiled servers?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sir Griffin

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: eXiled servers?   Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:56 am

Whats the thoughts on purchasing a TF2 server?

I'd pay, take donations, then ban everyones friends, LOL j/k

Seriously, do we want a server?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krazykid

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:14 am

I dont know too much about hosting a server, but my buddy hosed a counter strike server in his house. I thought about building one, and hosting it through my isp at my new house. I will have my internetz turned on in a few weeks, then i could save a little money and build something and see how it goes.

I would need some of you guys to help me with the software and set up, but I am sure I could get the hardware stuff taken care of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krazykid

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:22 am

Well the best highspeed connection I can get is 15mb down, 1mb UP. would 1mb work?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocean_NB
Admin

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2008-12-09

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:31 am

krazykid wrote:
Well the best highspeed connection I can get is 15mb down, 1mb UP. would 1mb work?

Not likely, Krazy. I would imagine that there would be considerable lag and packet loss on a >+ 24 player server.

I did a little checking and it seems that US$40ish /month seems to be about the going rate for getting a server through a hosting service. I kinda like the idea, but w/ a membership count of 23 i think that would likely be quite taxing on the individual. Not to mention, some might be a little gun-shy after the debacle of their last donation experiance.

-Eddie Izzard
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://exiled.forumotion.net
Kristy

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:46 am

I *have* a TF server that sits empty that you guys can use whenever you want. Its a 28 person server. Please use it instead of buying another one. I have never in my life felt like I wasted so much money before as that fucking server and it doesn't expire til like February 4th so until then, use it, please.

If it gets usage, I will consider renewing it in February.

Also, its located in VA, so you guys ping well on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.turdburglars.org
krazykid

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:55 am

Yeah i talked to my buddy home server wont cut it.

Kristy, whats the IP for it, we should all hop on it and see how it runs. How much a month is it to host it? if we split it up between us all, it cant be much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocean_NB
Admin

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:56 am

krazykid wrote:
Yeah i talked to my buddy home server wont cut it.

Kristy, whats the IP for it, we should all hop on it and see how it runs. How much a month is it to host it? if we split it up between us all, it cant be much.

check out the box below the ShoutMix, it lists Kristy's server, and has a play like that will take you right to her serv if you click it.

-Eddie Izzard
Back to top Go down
MAN

Number of posts : 81

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:50 pm

Maybe someday... Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nova

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:59 pm

kristy's server is great.. its in virginia and pings great for most of us east coasters.. the problem as with any server is population maintenance.. you need a dedicated group of people willing to start it up each night.. the community isnt big enough for that yet.. also we are more mature so we dont have people always ready to play earlier in the night.. our more shackled married folk only have x amount of time to play (yard time) so they really need to get into a server running full steam already.. once we build up the community with our friends we should explore a server down the road.. just keep passing the word that we're here to our old friends...

has anybody asked ryuhi to stop by?

Anonymous: here you go Nova... brace your self, sit down and enjoy... last time you will here this...............................................
Anonymous: you were right

"man with hand in pants feels cocky all day!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocean_NB
Admin

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:06 pm

Nova wrote:

I keep questioning if I should or not, but the walls of word on the CoN site he keeps posting (about the same thing over and over) frightens me off.

-Eddie Izzard
Back to top Go down
Sir Griffin

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-12-20

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:38 pm

Whoa!! Kristy has a server in VA! I'm all for it. Kristy, if we can get it going good like you say in February, contact me and I will donate $50 American dollars to you.

I will be able to be counted on, but i've been busy the past few nights, as has been explained in the shoutbox.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MAN

Number of posts : 81

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:46 pm

Sir Griffin wrote:
Whoa!! Kristy has a server in VA! I'm all for it. Kristy, if we can get it going good like you say in February, contact me and I will donate $50 American dollars to you.

I will be able to be counted on, but i've been busy the past few nights, as has been explained in the shoutbox.

Fuck that, you need to buy Left For Dead first! Its on sale for 37.99! GO BUY IT. Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:02 pm

Nova wrote:
kristy's server is great.. its in virginia and pings great for most of us east coasters.. the problem as with any server is population maintenance.. you need a dedicated group of people willing to start it up each night.. the community isnt big enough for that yet.. also we are more mature so we dont have people always ready to play earlier in the night.. our more shackled married folk only have x amount of time to play (yard time) so they really need to get into a server running full steam already.. once we build up the community with our friends we should explore a server down the road.. just keep passing the word that we're here to our old friends...

I'm just putting the idea out there, seeing what people thing, but what are people's thoughts on using standby bots to fill server slots until X amount of people join? I know in the past from other servers and talking with people who've run servers that sometimes having bots hold 4 slots while the server is vacant, and then disappear once players join, can get pub players into an otherwise empty server.

It's trickery I know, and I'm not sure how I feel about it personally, only to say that it's worked for some server admins to generate initial traffic. That, and keeping the server idle on a certain popular map until it starts to fill, and THEN starting the rotation.
Back to top Go down
Scynthus

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2009-01-05

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:07 am

Lugburz wrote:
I'm just putting the idea out there, seeing what people thing, but what are people's thoughts on using standby bots to fill server slots until X amount of people join? I know in the past from other servers and talking with people who've run servers that sometimes having bots hold 4 slots while the server is vacant, and then disappear once players join, can get pub players into an otherwise empty server.

It's trickery I know, and I'm not sure how I feel about it personally, only to say that it's worked for some server admins to generate initial traffic. That, and keeping the server idle on a certain popular map until it starts to fill, and THEN starting the rotation.

A CS:S server I play on does this and it works well. I say do it. It won't hurt anything and its good target practice while people are waiting for the server to build up; gives them something to do instead of sitting in an empty server.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VampiricCorn

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:27 am

I really like that idea. I'd rather have something to shoot then just by my self.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ocean_NB
Admin

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:30 am

VampiricCorn wrote:
I really like that idea. I'd rather have something to shoot then just by my self.
Agreed!

Someone should look in to that for Kristy... NOT ME!

-Eddie Izzard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: eXiled servers?   

Back to top Go down

eXiled servers?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The eXiled :: Game Talk :: Team Fortress 2-
Jump to: