The eXiled
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Playing Games With Your Kids

Go down 
+2
Nova
ShitHeel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ShitHeel

ShitHeel

Number of posts : 152
Registration date : 2008-12-09

Playing Games With Your Kids Empty
PostSubject: Playing Games With Your Kids   Playing Games With Your Kids Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 1:10 pm

My daughter and I have been playing a lot of the Wii Sports games since yesterday, and of course I've been beating her. My question is, do you guys ever let your kids win? I don't want to sound like a dick, I'm not all "booyah, take THAT" and shit but I'm competitive.

Growing up, I had the original Nintendo and my Dad and I played that Ice Hockey game, Tecmo Bowl and some baseball game, and he whooped my ass, like, consistently. When I finally did beat him it was a big deal, a real accomplishment, you know?

Just wondering what you guys think since many of us have kids and I'm sure this comes up in your houses.
Back to top Go down
Nova

Nova

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Playing Games With Your Kids   Playing Games With Your Kids Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 1:29 pm

there are two ways to approach this..

if she is trying so hard to beat you that it consumes her.. then no way do you let her ever win anything!

if she's just sorta playing for fun and the enjoyment of it and she is terrible then yes you should let her win sometimes.. =)
Back to top Go down
ShitHeel

ShitHeel

PostSubject: Re: Playing Games With Your Kids   Playing Games With Your Kids Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 1:31 pm

Definitely the 1st one, I'd say she's inherited my competitive spirit.
Back to top Go down
MAN

MAN

Number of posts : 81

PostSubject: Re: Playing Games With Your Kids   Playing Games With Your Kids Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Kick her ass! She would kick YOUR ass if she was better than you! Smile
Back to top Go down
Big_Monkey_Brother

Big_Monkey_Brother

Number of posts : 183

PostSubject: Re: Playing Games With Your Kids   Playing Games With Your Kids Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 1:48 pm

I always play to win with my daughter but it doesn't seem to bother her... but every kid is different. My 6 yr old is just happy to be playing with me and see her Mii animated on-screen (or even better, Princess Peach). I can't beat her at boxing, though - I can't defend against her frenzied, chaotic, random and hyper-kinetic blows.

One thing you could try is co-op games - I've played Lego Indy Jones and the Lego Star Wars trilogy with my 6 yr old and had a lot of success. Mario Kart offers the chance to play on the same team, for some game types, so that helps too. And Mario Party 9 is a cool board game that (aside from the challenges, which she almost always loses), has just enough random chance to give her a shot at winning. Super Mario Galaxy has a form of coop as well, though a bit anemic, but at least it lets her feel like she is contributing.
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Big_Monkey_Brother/
Kristy

Kristy

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Playing Games With Your Kids   Playing Games With Your Kids Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 4:21 pm

my only concern is the effect it may have on her self-esteem if she *always* loses. yeah, one might think "its just video games" but you have to remember, children are still developing the fine motor skills to play video games as well as skills in confidence and coping. if she constantly loses, i would hate for it to crush her spirit or her love for gaming. i am not saying to let her win though. i am saying to equal the playing field. have her play against her mother (she will prolly win then!) or encourage some single-player kids games that give her more of an edge. i also love the idea of co-op games where you play together as a team instead of against each other. just some ideas from your local childless child expert.
Back to top Go down
http://www.turdburglars.org
Ocean_NB
Admin
Ocean_NB

Number of posts : 188

PostSubject: Re: Playing Games With Your Kids   Playing Games With Your Kids Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 7:11 pm

I don't know what you're talking about, Kristy... I have never been able to best my Dad @ snooker, and I've been trying since I have been big enough to lean over a pool table. I never developed a competitive nature that consumes and drives me to strive to be the best at all that I do. *looks around the room w/ a guilty expression*
Back to top Go down
https://exiled.forumotion.net
ShitHeel

ShitHeel

PostSubject: Re: Playing Games With Your Kids   Playing Games With Your Kids Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:33 pm

She beat me at bowling the other day, I immediately blamed the sun's positioning in the sky relative to our front window and TV screen, then smashed the Wii into a thousand pieces!!

Part of the story above is true, and part is false...I'll let you guys figure that out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Playing Games With Your Kids   Playing Games With Your Kids Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Playing Games With Your Kids
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The eXiled :: Game Talk :: The Rest of the Story-
Jump to: