The eXiled
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the games are too long

Go down 
+2
Big_Monkey_Brother
Nova
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Nova

Nova

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-12-09

the games are too long Empty
PostSubject: the games are too long   the games are too long Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 7:43 pm

l4d versus games while fun are almost crippling how long they take to complete.. 1.5 hours or so.. and when one team gets the edge it feels that much longer for the losing team.. then the losing team begins to play even worse almost hoping to end it fast..

regardless of any of that at the end of a game i am totally wiped out.

i was thinking that perhaps sometimes we can run only the final 3 maps instead of all 5 maps.. this way the games will be quick and fun and less painful if one team is getting blown out.. it will also allow us to run more shorter games in one night than one long one..

thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Big_Monkey_Brother

Big_Monkey_Brother

Number of posts : 183

PostSubject: Re: the games are too long   the games are too long Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Agreed LFD VS matches take too long. I'm almost preferring Co-Op Advanced lately. I have more fun running and gunning infected with the reasonable challenge of Advanced difficulty - unlike expert where you have to crawl through the maps and accidental FF and a couple of regular infected hits incapacitate you.

The only issue with starting a VS match at the 3rd map is that I believe you have to have admin on the server to do that (assuming it's possible).

I'm guessing Valve will be out with a whole new "movie" soon, as well as proper VS versions of Death Toll and Dead Air. That kind of content will help even the playing field when playing VS since everyone hasn't worked out all the best strategies for the maps yet.

As far as balanced teams go - random isn't cutting it. Random works if every player is of equal capability - and they aren't. Is it time to revisit the ideas of team captains, or something along those lines?
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Big_Monkey_Brother/
Kristy

Kristy

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: the games are too long   the games are too long Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 9:49 pm

Aww, I was hoping for some sort of vote attached!

But I agree. First, the games are really long. Its a big commitment and takes up most of the night during the work week. Plus, like you mentioned - you can usually tell which team is going to win by the end of the 2nd map. If you are on the losing team, the remaining maps burn you out. Feels like an eternity and you just want out.

I think its worth a try. Good idea, Sir Nova.
Back to top Go down
http://www.turdburglars.org
Kristy

Kristy

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: the games are too long   the games are too long Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 9:53 pm

Monkey, you posted in the time I was writing my post Smile I agree with you about the teams, random is not cutting it. At all. I know I am not a very strong player, but at least if I get picked, I don't have to listen to the other people on my team sigh and complain because they got stuck with me. It really makes the game unenjoyable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.turdburglars.org
Nova

Nova

PostSubject: Re: the games are too long   the games are too long Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 12:41 am

damn you're right monkey.. i thought it was like campaign mode where you can select the map.. grr...
Back to top Go down
Ocean_NB
Admin
Ocean_NB

Number of posts : 188

PostSubject: Re: the games are too long   the games are too long Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 1:21 am

Many times i have launched a lobby and started the game 2 or 3 maps in. So I know you used to be able to do it. I haven't tried in a while.
Back to top Go down
https://exiled.forumotion.net
smuggler

smuggler

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: Re: the games are too long   the games are too long Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 9:55 pm

The Lobby Leader CAN pick the starting map in Versus mode.

Why don't we just do the last 3 maps. Will cut down on the play time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pompetti.com
FHCtyler21

FHCtyler21

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: the games are too long   the games are too long Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 4:59 pm

Not to bring up too old a thread here.... just saying I thought this worked awesomely last night! We had a big game of TF2 last night, so it was definitely good to keep it short. It was a close game, and I wasn't totally drained of all energy just before going to bed. I've personally played the first few maps soo many times from joining pubs then rage quitting when my team sucks that it gets kind of old. And to be honest, all the survivors have to do is make a mad dash for the safe rooms below the stairs and in the pawn shop that it takes little skill to make it through, even for me Cool
Back to top Go down
Ocean_NB
Admin
Ocean_NB

Number of posts : 188

PostSubject: Re: the games are too long   the games are too long Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 7:11 pm

Agreed. 1 hour (or shorter for Nova) was a good length last night.
Back to top Go down
https://exiled.forumotion.net
FHCtyler21

FHCtyler21

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-01-18

PostSubject: Re: the games are too long   the games are too long Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:09 pm

All I kept saying last night was how pissed I know nova must have been
Back to top Go down
Nova

Nova

PostSubject: Re: the games are too long   the games are too long Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 11:19 pm

hehe naa not pissed i appreciated the good play =)

and yeah it worked well.. 3 maps is plenty.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the games are too long   the games are too long Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the games are too long
Page 1 of 1